Once admitted to our school, the person in charge of welcoming you will contact you to assist you in completing all the formalities and organising accommodation.

When you arrive in France, you will be welcomed and helped so as to facilitate your integration and finalise all the administrative tasks.

Suitable welcoming arrangements

Three good reasons to choose ESA

  1. Every year, we welcome more than 150 international students, who form  6 % of our students: the international atmosphere of the campus is guaranteed!
  2. Our students are therefore approachable and happy to support you in exploring your new environment.
  3. A strong and experienced international team is happy to answer to your questions and guide you through the preparations for your arrival and also in the choice of your study programme..

The key to succeeding in your studies in France: a three-step process that is tailor-made.

Before leaving home, you will be informed about:

  • the administrative procedures: registration, residence permit, bank account, insurance, etc.;
  • the accommodation possibilities;
  • the health care system and health insurance;
  • the possibilities for financial assistance; and
  • the budget you will need.

Upon your arrival in Angers, we shall organise for you:

  • a welcome at the station by a French student;
  • an administrative day for finalising all the formalities and starting the courses calmly and with peace of mind. During this day, we shall also inform you of all the extracurricular activities and the student club and society life.
  • Intensive French classes at the school and after class (including an initiation to French life).

Throughout your stay:

  • you will receive individual support from the staff in charge of welcoming you: someone from ESA, who is available in case you need support and advice for resolving all the university problems resulting from a long stay far from your home country; and
  • your own educational counsellor: to support you in your studies;

Support for students with disabilities

ESA welcomes students with a disability and promotes educational equity to support you in achieving your academic and life goals.

The disability support team and the academic team are here to support students with disabilities. Students can make an appointment with a disability advisor to discuss their particular needs. Our student disability team can provide:

  • Recommendations for alternative assessment and examination conditions
  • Access to assistive technologies, or specialized equipment.
  • Ensure your course and assessments are accessible to you and adapted to your needs.
  • Human assistance (peer notetaking service, etc.).

If you have a disability or condition that affects your studies, you are encouraged to contact ESA prior to, or upon, enrolment to get confidential support to help you make the most of your studies.

“The role of the ESA’s disability adviser is to provide reception and support for students with disabilities. In collaboration with the various external organizations and academic teams, we work to promote equality and accessibility,”-  Leicy PASTOR CORSO, disability adviser at ESA.

Everyday life

To assist you in the practical things in your daily life.

The international service will find you accommodation before your arrival, Read more about  Accomodation procedure Like French students, international students can claim a housing allowance (AL) paid by
the Family Allowance Fund. It is a contribution to the payment of rent. Read more about accomodation financial aids
Angers is an average-size town and easy to get around without having to worry about traffic jams.
Pedestrian streets, cycle lanes and trams make getting to shops in the centre of town, bars, cinemas and other places of entertainment and recreation easy.
ESA is close to the centre of the town, less than ten minutes on foot to the station and not much more from large stores.
Students normally walk, cycle or take a bus or tram. The efficient public transport network often surprises our international students: there is even a night service. Read more about public transportation The city of Angers lends free bikes to adult users whose residence or workplace is located in Angers. Read more

Budget: daily living Costs
Indicative monthly budget:
• A room: €350 (for 23m²)
• Meals at the university restaurant (€3.30 x 60 meals): €198
• Transport by bus/tram: € 29,00 (price of a monthly ticket)
• Total around 615€ min/900 € max
Read more about Living costs in Angers

ESA can help you in finding accommodation. Read more following this link Accomodation procedure
You can benefit from financial governmental aids. For more information follow the link Housing financial aids

The town of Angers has university restaurants open at midday and in the evening during the week. Price of the meal: €3.30 There is a cafeteria at ESA premises and the rates for a standard menu (salad, sandwich, etc.) vary around €4/ €6. Read more about food service
The International Relations Office can help you in finding a bank. It is better to choose a bank with a strong international coverage.
For more Information follow this link Opening french bank account
Health insurance cover is mandatory when staying in France.You have to choose your General practitioner.
The rate for consultations is fixed by the State according to the following scale:• a general practitioner: €25; and
• a specialist: from €25 to €40.It is also possible to consult doctors free of charges at the SUMPPS
The International Service can supply you with a list of general practitioners and dentists around Esa
Read more about Health insurance      Video of Health Insurance Registration


Once admission to a degree course has been confirmed or registration for a non-degree study programme validated, you may begin the administrative process for staying in France.For your stay in France, there are three different situations:

1. You are a citizen of a country of the European Union (or of the European Economic Area (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland):
No carte de séjour (residence permit) is required.
You must be in possession of a valid passport or national identity card.

2. You are a citizen of Croatia or Turkey:
For a stay ≤ three months in France: no carte de séjour (residence permit). You must be in possession of a valid passport or national identity card.
For a stay > three months in France: you must be in possession of a valid passport and a D STUDENT visa mentioning that a “carte de séjour à solliciter à l’arrivée” (residence permit to be applied for on arrival), i.e. you must apply for your residence permit as soon as you arrive in Angers.

3. You are NOT a citizen of one of the above countries:
For a stay ≤ three months in France: you must have a passport and a visa with the words “dispensé temporaire de carte de séjour” (which means that for the time being you do not require a residence permit).
For a stay > three months in France: you must be in possession of a valid passport and a D STUDENT visa mentioning that a “carte de séjour à solliciter à l’arrivée” (residence permit to be applied for on arrival), i.e. you must apply for your residence permit as soon as you arrive in Angers.
How to apply for a visa
Contact the French Embassy or Consulate in your home country.
Warning! A ‘tourist’ visa may NOT be exchanged for a student (“étudiant”) visa, either in France or any other EU Member State.

How to apply for a carte de séjour (residence permit)


Learn more about the administrative formalities

  • Go to www.campusfrance.org
  • Please consult the tabs “Study in France”, “Living in France” and then “Working in France during your studies”, and “Prepare your stay”, including “Visa and Residence permits”.

Your contact: Alejandra Carril : a.carril@groupe-esa.com