Angers, an attractive town
Angers, the plant capital since the 19th century, a region certified green, a new way of living in the town! 17th town of France at the heart of an agglomeration with more than 300,000 inhabitants, of whom 42,000 are students. A green town, noted for its culture and diverse activities, Angers is a town “on a human scale”, renowned for its mild climate and quality of life. It offers a unique environment in which to live with landscapes classified as UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
- 1st green town of France (UNEP)
- 1st least polluted town of France (who and web surfers)
Angers, student town
- 48% of the population is under 30 years of age
- 42,000 students
- 4 University campuses
- 8 “Grandes écoles” open to the world
- One of the least expensive French university towns in which to live: €848 for monthly expenses with €398/month on rent for 23m²
Angers, the easy-going lifestyle
- More than 630 hectares of green spaces, of which 20 parks and gardens and that of ESA (3 ha)
- 51m² of green spaces per person or 20m² more than the average of French towns
- More than 70 km of cycle tracks
- An large, efficient public transport network: bus and tram
- 300,000 inhabitants, of whom 42,000 students
- Crossroads of the Great West: Angers is located between Paris (2h30 by car or 1h30 by TGV) and Nantes (1h by car or 40min by TGV)
Angers, historic town
Studying at Angers, it’s also having access to lots of cultural facilities:
- Theatre: Le Quai, Le Théâtre de l’Hôtel de Ville (THV), Le Grand Théâtre
- Concert halls: Le Chabada, l’Aréna Loire, Amphitéa
- Music: Angers Nantes Opéra, Orchestre national des Pays de la Loire (ONPL)
- Cinema: Les 400 Coups, Gaumont Angers Multiplex – 24 screens, including an independent Arthouse cinema
Angers, 3 major economic sectors
- Terra Botanica: 1st European theme park with interactive encounters with the world of plants
- The area of the Basses Vallées Angevines is recognised as one of the most beautiful and richest natural humid regions in Europe.
- VEGEPOLYS is a world competitive cluster in the field of plants
- Angers: 1st European plant cluster with more than 15,000 employees working in this sector
- The research laboratories (INRA, SNES) and the leading plant businesses (Briant, Groupe Limagrain) are established in Anjou. Like ESA, they participate in development and make up a cluster of competence recognised in this area.
- The Pays de la Loire region ranks 1st nationally in terms of certified agricultural production:
- 106 red labels
- 31 registered designations of origin
- 60,000 hectares devoted to organic
- Angers has 109 industrial food processing companies with more than 10 employees: Brioche Pasquier, Biscuits Saint-Georges, Charal, Cointreau, France Champignon, Groupe LDC, Soviba, Surgelés Marie, etc.
- There is a wide range of agricultural production in Anjou:
- from cattle raising (milk and meat) to plant production;
- from vines (8th in national ranking of the AOC wine sector) to arboriculture (ranked 1st nationally in this sector);
- Nearly 11,000 farms in Maine-et-Loire with an average size of 42 hectares; and
- Production is fairly stable at 53% for livestock and 47% for crops.